Location: Agapia village, 45 km far from Piatra
Neamt, in Neamt Depression.
The monastery’s name derives from the hermit Agapie
who founded initially a wooden hermitage in the place called
“Parents’ Orchard” at the end of the 14th
century (The Old Agapia). The monastery was restored by the
ruler Petru Rares (1541-1546), when it was built the first
Princely Church and after that it concerned two other rulers
Peter the Limp and Duca Voivode. It was during the 16th century
when the Old Agapia was moved to its actual place (New Agapia).
New Agapia Monastery was built by hetman Gavriil, brother
of Vasile Lupu, the ruler of that time. Between 1858 -1862
the monastery was repainted by the famous Romanian painter
Nicolae Grigorescu, who was 20 years old at that time. The
monastery houses a valuable museum which displays icons, embroidery,
religious objects and a precious crucifix carved in cypress