Location: in Alba County.
Description: The initial fortress,
Balgrad, meaning “the White Fortress”, was built
by the ruler Gyula during the 9th-10th centuries. The construction
of the present fortress (Alba Carolina Fortress) began in
1714 and it was finished in 1733. The construction was realized
in Vauban style after the drafts of the Italian architect
Giovanni Morando Visconti at the orders of the Emperor Carol
VI of Habsbourg. The fortress’s walls were made of thick
bricks and stones taken out from the Roman ruins. The six
gates of the bulwark fortress have been a model for the 18th
century Transylvanian architecture.
read more >>