Street (Victory Street)
Victoria Street was named in the
past Podul Mogosoaia Street (Mogosoaia Bridge). It was built
at Constantin Brancoveanu’s orders in order to facilitate
the access between the Princely Palace situated on Dambovita
River embankment and his Mogosoaia estate. The street was
floored with wooden beams which may explain the former name
- Podul Mogosoaia (Mogosoaia Bridge). The present named is
dating from 1878 when the victorious Romanian army returned
from the Independence War and made its entrance in Bucharest
on this street.
The Romanian Athenaeum
It is situated in the Revolution
Square. It was built in 1886- 1888 by the French architect
Albert Galleron. The neoclassical façade, the baroque
dome together with the ionic columns form the complete image
of a temple. Today the Romanian Athenaeum houses George Enescu
Philharmonic. The concert hall has 1000 seats and it is decorated
with a fresco depicting 25 episodes of Romanian history.
The Cantacuzino Palace
The Cantacuzino Palace was built
in the French baroque style. The façade impresses by
the monumental entry guarded by two lions. During the World
War II, the palace was the residence of the Presidency of
the Ministry Council. Today it hosts George Enescu Museum
The National History Museum of Romania
The national History Museum is
situated nearby the CEC Palace, on Calea Victoriei. Over 600,000
exhibits beginning with prehistoric times and ending with
the modern period, including the Romanian Thesaurus –which
contains silver and gold jewels
The Royal Palace
It is situated on Calea Victoriei,
in Revolution Square. It was built in 1812-1815 by Dinicu
Golescu. In 1859 it functioned as the residence of Prince
Alexandru Ioan Cuza. In 1882-1885 it was rebuilt under the
supervision of the architect Paul Gottereau and it was used
during the official ceremonies. The old boyar’s house
became the residence of King Carol I. Presently it houses
the National Art Museum. The museum displays works of some
famous artists like El Greco, Rubens, Renoir, Delacroix, Tintoretto,
Monet, Brancusi, Grigorescu.
The Capsa House
Capsa House is situated on Victoriei
Street, in front of National Military Centre. It is an old
building (1852) which belonged to boyar Slatineanu. In 1874
it became the property of the famous confectioner Grigore
Capsa. He was the one who turned it into a confectionary,
coffee house, restaurant and hotel, along the time being an
important meeting place for all kinds of personalities.
The Continental Hotel
The Continental Hotel is situated
on Victoriei Street. It was built in 1828 in German Renaissance
style under the supervision of the architect Ritter Forter.
In 1995 it was renovated
The “Dissescu” House
House Dissescu is situated on Victoria
Street. It is a beautiful construction, in Romanian style,
built in 1910-1912 by the architect Grigore Cerchez . Presently
it houses the Institute of Art History.
The Lens-Vernescu House
Lens-Vernescu House is situated
on Victoriei Street. It is a construction built in 1820 in
eclectic style by the great chancellor Filip Lens. In 1886
it became the property of the politician Gheorghe Vernescu.
Today the building houses the “Palace”Casino.
The Monteoru House
Casa Monteoru is situated on Victoriei
Street. It was built in the second half of the 19th century
under the supervision of the architect Nicolae Cutariada.
This house belonged to Monteoru family but presently it is
the residence of the Writers’ Union.
The Manu House
The Manu House is situated on Victoriei
Street. It was built in French neo-classical style. At the
beginning it belonged to the Chancellor Alecu Florescu and
after that it became the property of the General Gheorghe
Manu. Presently here functions a kindergarten.
The Gradisteanu House
The Gradisteanu House is situated
on Victoriei Street. It was built in 1897 for Serban Ghica,
a descendant of Grigore Ghica. After that the house belonged
to Petre Gradisteanu, an important politician. Presently the
building houses the Ion Ghica Institution.
The National Military Centre
The National Military Centre is
situated on Victoriei Street , in the place where in the past
used to function an old church –Sarindar Church, founded
by the ruler Matei Basarab. The building was realized in 1912
in French neo-classicism style under the supervision of the
architects: Dimitrie Maimarolu, Victor Stefanescu and Ernest
Doneaud. In front of the building there is a large terrace
which is used as an outdoor restaurant in the summer.
The Romanian Academy
The Romanian Academy is situated
on Victoriei Street. It is a building realized in neo-classical
style, placed in the middle of a garden. It dates from the
second half of the 19th century. The building which houses
the Academy’s Library can be found in the yard.
The Romanian Savings Bank (C.E.C)
It is situated on Victoriei Street.
The building was realized in 1896-1900 in French eclectic
style under the supervision of Paul Gottereau and Ion Socolescu.
On this location it used to function Saint John the Great’s
Church situated next to the homonym inn which was dating from
Mihai Viteazu (the Brave) era.
The Post Palace (National Romanian
The Post Palace is situated on
Victoriei Street. It was built in 1894-1900 in French eclectic
style in the place which used to be an inn dating from Constantin
Voda’s rule. Until 1970 it functioned as the Central
Post-Office. Presently, the building houses the National Romanian
The Romanit Palace
Romanit Palace is situated on Victoriei
Street. It was built at the beginning of the 19th century
by the boyar C.Faca. After his death the construction was
finished by the treasurer Romanit who also sumptuously decorated
the interior. In 1834 the ruler Alexander Ghica rented this
house in order to install his chancellery. Since 1978 the
building has been hosting the Art Collection Museum.
The Senate House
The Senate House is situated on
Victoriei Street, in Revolution Square. It is a “U”-shaped
building realized in neo-classical style. It first housed
the Ministers’ Council and after that it functioned
as the center of the Central Committee of the Communist Party.
From the top of this building has taken off the helicopter
which helped Ceausescu run away on the 22nd of December 1989
(during the Romanian Revolution). Presently the building houses
the Romanian Senate.
read more >>